Nov 2, 2018
Gabe Brown is a clear, collected, and inspired voice
for regenerative agriculture, having implemented and seen great
changes on his family's ranch in North Dakota over time. In fact,
Gabe’s A-Horizon (topsoil) is 27 in, and the soils on surrounding
farms only have 4-6 in of topsoil!
Gabe is the author of the recently published and highly-acclaimed
book, Dirt To Soil,
from Chelsea Green. I highly recommend reading this truly inspiring
and informative book.
Speaking and teaching about the practical steps for soil
regeneration and farm profitability for more than 15 years, Gabe is
also a partner with Soil Health Consultants LLC, an
all-star group of ag thinkers and doers engaged in challenging the
status-quo of agriculture.
In this episode Gabe and I speak about:
- The time when Dr. Norman put a 4 ft long probe into the ground
and the soil would collapse with only 2 ft in the probe because of
tremendous pore space.
- The reception of his book and the increased adoption of
regenerative agriculture he’s observed.
- How to drive wholesale change in agriculture: the role of
producers (most), consumers (a lot), processors (plenty) and
government (not much!).
- His desire to educate consumers regarding their role as
potential Regenerative Ag advocates who leverage their food
- The need for growers to focus on photosynthesis, carbon
cycling, and support of biological systems.
- The relative value of soil testing, which test is most
valuable, and what to measure.
- The idea that Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium are abundant
enough in soils and the atmosphere to supply all NPK needed for
crop and livestock production, and can be made available through
cover cropping and biological cycling.
- Dr. Norman's research on Gabe’s farm documenting soils with up
to 70% pore space.
- The real potential to increase nutrient density, environmental
conditions, and farm livelihood in the near-term.
- And the one thing he wishes every farmer in the country would
This is Gabe's second time on the show and I am pleased to welcome
Listen to Gabe's and my previous episode, which received great
Hope you Enjoy!
P.S. Next Tuesday, Nov 7th, I will be hosting an AEA
webinar to discuss our seaweed product and why plants respond so
differently to it than to other seaweeds. Sign up for the webinar
Support For This Show
This show is brought to you by AEA, leaders in Regenerative
Agriculture since 2006.
If you are looking to increase revenue and quality,
Book: Dirt To Soil,
by Gabe Brown
TEDx Talk: Gabe
Brown on Regeneration of Our Lands: A Producer’s
Webinar: John Kempf on How
Crops Benefit From Robust Soil Microbial Populations
Podcast: Eliminating the need
for synthetic fertilizer with Kris Nichols
Webinar: John Kempf on
Changing Agronomy With Biology
Webinar: Capturing Residue to
Build Soil Organic Matter
Soil, by David Montgomery
Feedback, Booking, and Production Contacts